Our Home Ground
The Nepean District Cricket Association:
(An excerpt from the NDCA "Centenary Celebration" Program, 1998).
THE inaugural meeting to form the Nepean District Cricket Association was held on the 21st August, 1898 at Vallance's Hotel, Penrith (recent findings suggest 23rd August and the venue being Tattersall's Hotel). The meeting was convened by Mr Thomas Dixon of Mt Druitt. The foundation clubs were Springwood, Emu Plains, Mulgoa, Castlereagh, Penrith, Penrith Railway, St Marys and Mt Druitt.
In the inaugural season, the clubs competed for the Lees Shield, donated by Samuel Lees, the local member of Parliament. Castlereagh won the first premiership and also the right to keep the shield after they had won three premierships. Mr Wallace of Luddenham donated a shield to replace the Lees Shield. Castlereagh also won this shield outright by winning another three premierships.
The Nepean District Cricket Association, at the end of season 1921-22, organised a subscription list to purchase a shield for the competition. The shield was named the Evans Shield in memory of Ted Evans who was born at Emu Plains. Ted had an outstanding career in first class cricket, playing for NSW in Inter Colonial matches. He was one of only three bowlers to take over 100 wickets in those matches. He also toured England with the Australian team in 1886. The shield was purchased for 19 pounds 12 shillings and sixpence. Emu Plains have been the most successful club winning the Evans Shield on twenty occasions, the highlight being winning seven consecutive premierships from 1946-47 to 1952-53. Penrith Leagues Club, with twelve premierships, including five in a row 1983-84 to 1987-88, is the next most successful club.
A B-grade competition was introduced in 1927-28. The clubs played for the Nepean Cup, with the Penrith Club being the inaugural winners.
A C-grade competition was introduced in the season of 1933-34, with the clubs competing for the Howell Cup. This trophy was donated to honour international cricketer William Peter Howell, a farmer from Castlereagh who toured England on three occasions 1899-1902 and 1905. The Penrith Club were the first winners of this trophy.
In 1961-62 an A-reserve competition was introduced. The clubs played for the Deane Trophy. The trophy was donated by Mr Bernie Deane, a member of State Parliament. Blacktown Workers were the first winners of this trophy.
The Association at one stage conducted competitions in thirteen divisions with 104 teams affiliated. The formation of the Blacktown District Cricket Association saw the decline in numbers with clubs from Blacktown, Doonside, Rooty Hill and Mt Druitt affiliating with Blacktown.
The Association now uses five turf wickets - Shaw Park at Cambridge Park, Dukes Oval and Darcy Smith Oval, both at Emu Plains, Jamison Park No.5 at Penrith, and Lomatia Park at Springwood.
The Association was affiliated with the Hawkesbury Cricket Council for over thirty years, along with Hawkesbury, Camden and Blue Mountains initially. Later on, Southern Districts replaced Blue Mountains. At present, the Association is affiliated with the NSW Districts Cricket Association, (formerly the NSW Junior Union) and has fielded teams in the NSW Districts Cricket Association Inter District matches:- The Martin Shield, the Telegraph Shield and the Durham Shield.
The Association was responsible for forming the Nepean Grade Club in 1973 (renamed Penrith in 1978), and was its major sponsor in its initial season of 1973-74 with a donation of $1000.